In this article, we’ll provide a few reasons to choose Power Over Ethernet (PoE) switches Made in the USA. Our hope is it will inspire sourcing decisions that lead to a more secure PoE infrastructure.
“Made In The USA” Is Now The Safest Way
The demand for PoE solutions is mounting, with the market exceeding $700 million in 2018 and trending to $2 billion by 2025. The rise of smart-grids and intelligent buildings drives much of this acceleration.
But, as the popularity of PoE grows, so do the risks—take Huawei’s story, for example. In 2019, due to concerns about Huawei’s close ties to the Chinese regime, the US government effectively barred collaborations between US tech firms and the Chinese telecom giant.
Many organizations share similar security fears when deciding whether to buy from foreign PoE switch manufacturers.
Because PoE switches are a potential artery into a network system, any malicious manipulation during manufacturing could allow a security breach. If your company unknowingly installs hacked switches, there could be backdoors built in that allow covert access into your network, potentially compromising security, building systems, IT, and more.
For critical infrastructure, this vulnerability to hacking and infiltration is not acceptable. That’s why government & military buildings, and companies that work for those organizations, often require a level of security that only managed PoE switches, Made in the USA, can offer.
ComNet is proud to provide trusted PoE switches, including:
- CNGE3FE8MS Series: three 100/1000Base-FX SFP ports and eight 10/100Base-TX ports.
- CNGE11FX3TX8MS Series: three 100/1000Base-FX SFP ports and eight 10/100/1000Base-TX ports.
- CNGE24FX12TX12MS Series: twelve 100/1000Base-FX SFP ports and twelve 10/100/1000Base-TX ports.
PoE Switches Are A Hot Target For Cyber Threats
PoE switches are growing in popularity, powering more and more American businesses. According to an IBM-sponsored survey, the current average cost of a corporate data breach in the United States is $8.19 million—an expense that drops to $2.9 million for companies with automated cybersecurity defenses.
In today’s cybersecurity landscape, smart organizations are taking steps to protect themselves. Leadership teams and procurement managers should seriously consider their PoE switch manufacturers’ allegiance.
- Made in the USA allows for tighter control over manufacturing. American-made switches are less susceptible to malicious political interference and hardware vulnerabilities.
- Managed PoE switches add protection. The ability to restrict contact between ports aids in preventing a hack or breach from spreading. As a result, confidential internal data stays safe and secure.
Standard security capabilities of managed switches include:
- Device binding security feature
- Enable/disable ports, MAC-based port security
- Port-based network access control (802.1x)
- VLAN (802.1Q) to segregate and secure network traffic
- Radius centralized password management
- SNMPv3 encrypted authentication and access security
- HTTPS/SSH enhanced network security
- Switch/port-based, NAS, ACL, ARP inspection, and IP source guard AAA radius-server authentication
- Support of Secure Copy Protocol (SCP) for secure file transfer
ComNet provides additional cybersecurity with Port Guardian technology which enables physical port lockout if an existing cable becomes disconnected and prevents network incursion from common spoofing techniques.
PoE Switch Manufacturers: Buying American Has Benefits
It’s beyond question that Americans support American manufacturing. Buying products made in the USA strengthens the economy, creates jobs right here at home, and just plain feels good. And here’s what makes that sourcing decision really important.
Buying overseas subverts domestic capabilities—without domestic market support, it can take years for PoE switch manufacturers to build up their skill and supply chain. ComNet is your local choice, providing powerful “Made in the USA” products that deliver real advantages.
- US-made, lifetime warranties
- Price competitive
- Fantastic pre & post product support
- PoE switches hardened to the toughest environments
- Extensive product lines with innovative features
Let us solve your problem for you! In addition to our latest PoE switches, we also offer custom designs. ComNet can design a specific solution to meet your exact needs, space requirements, and integration conditions.
Future-Proofing A Secure PoE Market
In the years to come, cyberattacks are likely to grow in frequency and sophistication. A security approach—that can be trusted right from the manufacturing stage—will play a vital role in protecting privacy, rights, physical security, and freedom.
Safety measures in the PoE market are a serious matter.
There’s a growing awareness of potential intrusions and politically sanctioned cyberattacks that could compromise sensitive information. Multiple organizations and industries are working to head off these types of threats. For instance:
- Building automation services
- Correctional facilities
- Datacom distributors
- Educational centers
- National security facilities
- Airport authorities
- Security & surveillance specialists
To avoid falling victim to data theft, many procurement and project PMs seek PoE switch manufacturers who guarantee their goods are made in the USA.
ComNet Communication Networks is based in Connecticut, USA, and Leeds, United Kingdom. Our focus is on business ethics, customer support, engineering, and quality. Our “Made in the USA” product line of managed switches leverages technology far more advanced than many products currently available in the North American PoE market.